I felt I needed to write this experience down somewhere. Although a journal might be more appropriate, I must admit I havent been so good writing in it since I have started a blog. It just seems to be more convient to type, not to mention Im MUCH faster at typing than writing. Not to mention, I will be honest, teaching Primary has been a HUGE stretch for me. Most weeks I feel like what I have done or what I have taught hasnt mattered much, so I feel the need to write down the moments that remind me that Heavenly Father listens to MY prayer, and that the efforts I make really do matter.
Getting to church today was almost a miracle in an and of itself. I had some dizzy spells most of the morning. Maddox cried all morning too. We were 45 minutes late to church (which starts at 1 so that tells you what kind of a morning I had). When we got in the car to leave I had my husband say a prayer that we could feel the spirit at church, because honestly I just didnt even want to go. I almost called my team teacher to tell her I would be showing up, but since it was my turn to teach I knew I couldnt just dump the responsibility on her last minute. The lesson was on the First Vision. I made sure we started with a prayer, which usually calms my class down, but for some reason they seemed a little chatty still. I guess thats normal for 7 and 8 year olds, but I already was struggling. The kids today had the most random questions, and it was hard to stay focused. One kid asked "how was heavenly father born?" another girl asked, "what if our church wasnt true." Of course all I could do was bear my testimony (over and over it seemed) to try to get the spirit back in the room. When the lesson on the first vision was over, and before the class left, I bore my testimony again of the truthfullness of what I had tought. I challenged the kids to go home and pray, like Joseph had, and that Heavenly Father would answer thier prayers. I told them that they wouldnt get thier answers in a vision like Joseph had, but that they would know thier prayers would be answered because they would feel the spirit. I told them they would know it was the spirit when they felt a warm, calm feeling. When I closed my testimony the kids just sat there, silent. Then one of my sweet little boys whispered in the most sincere voice, "I feel the spirit right now."
I knew that that was an answer to my prayer. Here I was testifying to my kids that if they prayed thier prayers would be answered, and that was the exact experience that I was having. I had had my husband say a prayer before we left church that we would be able to feel the spirit at church. And time and time again I had prayed that I would know that what I did mattered. He was an answer to my prayers. What a wonderful reminder that Heavenly Father knows our needs, and he listens when we need Him most.
1 comment:
That is a great story. I know what you mean about hating to write in a journal. I am the same way, and although our blogs may not be the BEST place to keep a record, it's sure better than nothing! Hey, at least people can benefit from our stories while we're ALIVE!
Post a Comment