August 1, 2008
Blessings of Motherhood
It happened so quickly, and didnt last long, but it happened. And when it did, tears poured down my cheek. Sometimes I feel like as a mother I have failed. I know Maddy is only 15 months old, but I feel guilty about the things I do and say, or things I dont do and say. Sometimes I wonder to myself if I have taught him anything, anything worthwhile. Do I spend enough quality time with him? Do I tell him that I love him enough? Do I do the things that a "good" mother would do? I know he's still so little, but do I teach him the gospel? The last couple of months Mike and I have been working on prayers with Maddy. The first year of his life we felt it was nearly impossible to make him sit quiet and fold his arms and listen to a prayer, when all he really wanted to do was eat some pretzels and watch Little Einsteins. Lately we have felt like it was important to at least try and have him quiet during prayers, and we would hold his little arms in a folding position hoping he would participate. Of course the quiet and the holding still would last only seconds. Tonight we had him in his high chair, watching a little cartoon and eating his dinner. My husband announced that he was going to quickly bless the food. Maddy started to fuss in chair and so I quietly whispered "Maddy, daddy is saying a prayer, can you listen?" Immediately he quieted down, looked at Mike, and then he folded his little arms. My mother in law stood next to me, watching everything, and her jaw dropped. I whispered to myself "oh. my. gosh." and I began to cry. Its the first time I have really felt like I had taught Maddy something. Something of worth anyways. I was so proud of him! I know it may not seem like a big deal, but this was a HUGE moment for our little family. Maddox is growing up so fast. Its apparent when you have to buy bigger clothes, or his shoes dont fit right anymore, but when your child learns to fold his arms and listen to his father say a prayer there is nothing more evident that your little boy is growing up. What a blessing it is to be a mother. All the daily struggles are DEFINETLY worth little moments like that. I sure love my little boy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Awww! That is awesome. I would have cried too. You are a great mom- have faith!
So sweet! Heavenly Father has to give mothers moments like that. It is the only way to be able to survive the chaos little children bring!
I can't believe he's so old already! I don't get to see you too often, but I don't doubt that you're a wonderful mommy. Maddox is a lucky little guy.
I seriously think moments like that are a blessing from heaven. There have been so many times that I wonder if Kennedy is getting anything out of FHE or prayer or anything, and then she will tell me that she is a child of God or sing a song, or know an answer that I seriously doubted she even heard as she was running around during the lesson, but keep on going because he is little, but we don't give them enough credit for how smart they really are! Way to go Ash!
Post a Comment